You are permitted to tell about the death but not the cause of death without the permission of the next of kin. The information given about the death should be coherent, open and clear.
The campus safety management team (together with the crisis and safety committee) decides on the division of work:
- Contact with next of kin – expressing condolences?
- Who takes care of the flowers or message of condolence
- Who makes arrangements with the next of kin about attending the funeral - respecting the wishes of the family?
- Informing the students and staff members about the death?
- When will there be a minute of silence and how will it be arranged?
- Is a debriefing necessary – how is it organised?
- Information about the organisation’s support services?
- When will the flag be flown at half-mast?