You are entitled to meal subsidy in student restaurants if you are a university degree student. You will get a student discount by
- presenting a valid student ID card issued by SAMOK or SYL (digital student cards also accepted)
- presenting a meal subsidy card issued by Kela
- paying for the meal with the Lyyra payment sticker.
If you do not have a student ID card but are completing studies that qualify you for the meal subsidy, you can get a meal subsidy card from your school. The meal subsidy is not available with a post-graduate student ID card or a VR/Matkahuolto student card.
How to apply?
You can get financial aid for studies in Finland if you live in Finland on a permanent basis for a purpose other than studying. This requires that you are registered as a permanent resident in the Finnish population register system.
Kela can grant financial aid to students of higher educational institution for full-time studies.
Student financial aid includes:
- study grants
- state guarantee for a student loan
- housing allowance for students (starting 1 August 2017, available only to those who are studying abroad)Students renting an apartment in Finland can claim general housing allowance starting 1 August 2017.
Student financial aid for summer
Sufficient progress of studies
Monitoring the progress of studies
Student financial aid and other income
If you get ill during your studies
Independent study supported by unemployment benefit