Financing your studies
You can get financial aid for studies in Finland if you live in Finland on a permanent basis for a purpose other than studying. This requires that you are registered as a permanent resident in the Finnish population register system.
Kela can grant financial aid to students of higher educational institution for full-time studies.
Student financial aid includes
* study grants
* housing allowance for students
* state guarantee for a student loan
You are also entitled to meal subsidy in student restaurants. You will get a student discount by
- presenting a valid student ID card issued by SAMOK or SYL (digital student cards also accepted)
- presenting a meal subsidy card issued by Kela
- paying for the meal with the Lyyra payment sticker.
If you do not have a student ID card but are completing studies that qualify you for the meal subsidy, you can get a meal subsidy card from your school. The meal subsidy is not available with a post-graduate student ID card or a VR/Matkahuolto student card.
Please, visit Kela's website for more information on student financial aid.