Which English language certificates do you accept?
All applicants admitted on the basis of their previous school performance must provide proof of their English language skills with one of the documents mentioned below. If you have one of the following documents, please upload a copy of it to the application:
upper secondary school certificate completed in an EU/EEA-country. The English language grade in the upper secondary certificate must be better than the average of the degree scale.
Bachelor’s or Master’s degree completed in English in an EU/EEA-country
upper secondary school certificate or Bachelor’s or Master’s degree completed in English in Great Britain, Ireland, United States, Canada, Australia or New Zealand
International Baccalaureate completed in English
AICE degree completed in Finland
IELTS academic level, overall score 6.0
TOEFL ibt score 60
Pearson test of English, Academic minimum score 46
Cambridge C2 Proficiency (Certificate of Proficiency in English) overall Cambridge English Scale score 169
Cambridge C1 Advanced (Certificate in Advanced English) overall Cambridge English Scale score of 169
National Certificate of Language Proficiency skills level 4 in all parts of the test (speaking, listening comprehension, writing and reading comprehension)
International Baccalaureate diploma: grade 4 in higher level English
European Baccalaureate diploma: at least grade 6.00 in English
Deutsche Internationale Abitur (DIA) -diploma: at least grade 7 in English
If you do not have any of the above listed documents, you cannot be selected on the basis of educational background. You need to participate in the selection course, which is organised in the spring 2023. We will inform you about it via email after your application has been checked.
I have SAT results. Do I have to participate in the online exam?
- You can be accepted to HAMK if your SAT results meet the following results: 500 in evidence-based reading and writing 500 in mathematics. This applies to all the English taught programmes, except Smart and Sustainable Design.
Am I an eligible applicant?
- You are welcome to apply when you have a qualification that provides your eligibility for higher education studies in the awarding country. You can apply even if you are a final year student – then you apply with a temporary certificate. Please remember that you must complete the qualification by the time of starting your studies in HAMK.
How much are your tuition fees and what kind of scholarships does HAMK offer?
- You can read more about the tuition fees and scholarships at HAMK here
What are the exam dates?
- The remaining exam dates for autumn intake 2022 are 24 and 25 May.
Can I change the exam date?
- Changing the exam date is generally not possible. If you have national final exams which overlap with our exam dates, please contact email@example.com.
When will the invitations to the exams be sent?
- The invitations will be sent approximately one week prior to the exam.
How do I know what time the exam is in my own country?
- Please, check the correct time zones and time differences before the exam online.
When is the interview? / Is there an interview?
- There is no interview in HAMK’s direct application 2022.
Where can I find the guidance for the pre-task and motivational letter for Smart and Sustainable Design?
- A short description of the task will be found on the entrance exam platform after your registration. The official task and submission box open a few days before the exam date and deadline for submission is before the exam. See the exact dates from the exam invitation letter.
What do I do if my laptop does not have a camera?
- A camera is mandatory in order to pass the ID check in the exam. If your laptop’s camera is broken, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Is there any prereading material for the exam? Where can I see the exams of the previous years?
- There is no prereading material available for the exam. HAMK also does not publish previous years’ exams.
I was invited to the entrance exam. Do I now have to make an account with HAMK?
- You should create an account to our entrance exam platform. The guidance on how to do that is in the entrance exam invitation. If you already have an account, please use the same account.
How can I register into the HAMK’s entrance exam platform?
- The guidance for the registration can be found from the exam invitation letter sent via email.
Can you register me for the exam?
- The guidance is in the exam invitation. You must register for the exam yourself.
I chose the wrong degree programmes on the entrance exam platform. What can I do?
- Contact us on email@example.com before the exam day. On the exam day we cannot help you.
I don’t remember what time I have the exam. Can you please tell me?
- You may find your exam time at entrance.hamk.fi by clicking the section “Reserve your exam time here”.
I have applied to the Smart and Sustainable design, but I don’t wish to apply any more. Can I skip the pre-task and motivation letter?
Can I return the pre-task and motivation letter for Smart and Sustainable design to email?
- No, you cannot. There is a submission box in the entrance exam platform for these.
I forgot my password to the entrance exam platform. What can I do?
- You can click “forgot your password” on the log in page of the entrance exam platform and request to set a new password.
I have chosen the exam time on the platform. Will I get confirmation?
- There will not be a separate confirmation from choosing the exam time. You can see your chosen exam time on entrance.hamk.fi.
My passport number has changed. What can I do?
- Please inform this to the firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as you have the new passport number.
What can I do if I am late for the exam? Will I be invited to the next exam if I was late / could not make it that day / didn’t see the invitation or register on time?
- Failing to be on time for the exam will lead to disqualification. You also cannot retake the exam. So please make sure to be on time for the exam!
What if I lose the internet connection or have other technical problems during the exam?
- If your internet connection breaks during the exam, please return to the Zoom session as fast as you can. If you are not able to join the Zoom session again, send email to email@example.com immediately. In case of other technical problems, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org immediately when the problems occur.
Can I use pen and paper in the exam? Can I use a calculator?
Can I take a break during the exam?
- After the ID check no breaks are allowed. You cannot close the camera or leave before finishing the exam.
I am not allowed to enter Zoom to have my ID checked and start the exam. What should I do?
- If you joined Zoom late, you will not be allowed to join the exam and it will lead to disqualification. You can apply again in the next application period.
Will my exam answers be saved automatically if I for example lose the internet connection or I ran out of exam time?
When will my ID be checked on the exam?
- The ID check happens at Zoom in a separate room in the beginning of the exam time. Please be patient because the waiting time for the ID check can be very long.
I cannot see my exam even though my ID has been checked. What can I do?
- Refresh the exam page. It might take several minutes for the exam to open. The exam time will start running only after you have successfully begun the exam.
Is it possible to provide language certificates after the exam?
- You always need to provide language certificates before the exam. If you failed the English language test this time, you need to apply again when next application period starts and show the certificates then before exam.
What can I do if I am not satisfied with the test results? Can I ask that my exam points to be re-calculated?
- If you believe there has been a mistake in the student selection and the admission criteria have not been applied correctly, you can make a written request for rectification within 14 days after the student selection results have been published. The request for rectification must be addressed to the Examination Board of Häme University of Applied Sciences and sent to HAMK, PO Box 230, 13101 Hämeenlinna, Finland within 14 days after the student selection results have been published.
Can I redo the exam on another day?
- No, unfortunately not, you need to apply again in the next application period.
Where can I see my exam points?
- You will find the points at HAMK’s entrance exam platform. The results for the English language test will be available after two weeks. You will not get the points by asking or mailing to us.
Can I get in even if I have failed the English language part?
When will the results for the exam be ready and the acceptance letters be sent?
- Within four weeks after the exam. Please notice that even if you did not need to do the English language part the acceptance letter will not be sent any earlier.
How many points do I need to get in order to pass the exam?
- It depends on what do you apply to. In order to pass the exam for Engineering programmes and Computer Applications the points you need are the following: Basic Math 6, Problem-solving 13, English 6. For Smart Organic Farming and International Business: Basic Math 6, English 6. Smart and Sustainable Design: English 6
Is it for sure that an applicant that successfully passed the both/all sections of the entrance exams will be admitted?
- If you are eligible to apply and pass the entrance exam, we will offer you a study place.
- When contacting the entrance exam team, please include your first and last name, application number as well as exam time and date, if you have already booked the exam. This makes it easier for us to help you.
- Check both your inbox and spam box for our emails. Sometimes our emails can go to the spam box.
- Email addresses ending with @yahoo.com will not receive our emails!
- Phone numbers without the country code will not receive our text messages!
- Try to make sure to have a good and stable internet connection during the exam date. If you lose the connection during the exam, try to get back online as soon as possible and inform email@example.com as soon as possible.
- If you have any problems during the exam, use the raise hand or ask for help buttons or chat messages in Zoom to get help from the team present at the exam. This is the fastest way to get help.
- Technical problems as well as losing the connection must be reported to the firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
- The waiting time for the ID check can be very long. This is manual work and the ID’s will be checked one by one. Please be patient when waiting for moving to the breakout room and the ID check.
- Each applicant has their own personal exam time. The exam time does not begin until the person’s ID has been verified and he/she has started the exam.
- Writing the exam with another person / talking with another person during the exam will lead to disqualification.