HAMK in Africa
Partnerships for education, research and innovation
HAMK is building knowledge and competence together with African universities and partners.
In this age of globalisation, there is a great need for collaboration, new ideas and innovations, and shared resources. Häme University of Applied Sciences is actively involved in international cooperation in education and research, which will shape the future of the world. Collaboration with African partners has an impact on all HAMK’s levels:
- Collaborative research is the tool for producing solutions suitable for local realities to create jobs and wealth. Collaborative research will also lead to sustainable development and climate change mitigation.
- Students are in the centre of all we do. Students at HAMK as well as at African partner universities will have possibilities to enhance their international competences and to strengthen their global citizenship. Through HAMK’s collaboration in Africa, students will have more opportunities for short exchanges in multidisciplinary groups.
- Our staff also have opportunities to increase their global through teacher exchanges, both by visiting African partner universities and by welcoming colleagues from African countries to teach at HAMK.
- Development of sustainability and competence for Africa – experts gather at HAMK and Aalto University in September15.09.2022
- Building industry-university collaboration in Zambia13.04.2022
- HAMK students arrived to Zambia07.04.2022
- Big things happening in Kenya30.03.2022
- Co-creation and innovation program in Zambia20.02.2022
- Kick-off Event for the new Africa-related Student Projects 1.-2.2.202204.02.2022
- Student Info Session about Africa Projects gathered interest among students and staff03.02.2022
- The first Pilot Student Challenges successfully finished28.01.2022
- HAMK and Fida collaborating for accessible quality education in Kenya08.11.2021
- Research is needed in improving cocoa sustainability18.10.2021
HAMK’s ongoing projects in Africa
AGS co-creation and innovation programme
Cocoa business development
Water Hyacinth Project
Global Sustainability studies – Join Field Work in Africa
Building a sustainable world – this is what Global Sustainability studies is about. Learn about intercultural communication and why we need to care about others’ cultures or beliefs. Learn to understand the global economic and socio-cultural processes connecting the rich and poor of the world. Learn about the global inequality challenges, discuss sustainable and respectful global development and link this to your own studies. As a HAMK student, you have an opportunity to deepen your experience through joining a real-life development project in Africa.
In total, we plan for 75 HAMK students to travel to our African partner countries between 2022–2024. Join our field challenges by taking Creating Sustainable Solutions/ Global sustainability course, open to all HAMK students.
Join our course this summer!
We offer three courses consisting of a full 15-credit module:
- Cross-cultural communication
- 5 ECTS, online
- It’s open in Learn, you can do it in your own time and schedule: https://learn.hamk.fi/course/view.php?id=9144
- Sustainable Society and Global Economy
- 5 ECTS, online
- It’s open in Learn, you can do it in your own time and schedule: https://learn.hamk.fi/course/view.php?id=10713
- Creating Sustainable Solutions
- 5 ECTS, field work in Africa or project work in Finland
- This part is built around student challenge. In the student challenge, you learn in co-operation with multicultural teams. You will be a member of HAMK team of 5 students, and you will work in collaboration with student teams from African universities.
Field work in Africa is planned to happen during 15.-30.10.2022. We are planning to have 4-6 student challenges in Zambia, Kenya, and South Africa. The list of student challenges is updating, you can follow the situation on this web page.
Current student challenge projects are:
- Digitalizing Cooking in Rural Zambia_Afstor
- Blood waste student challenge
- Resilient landscapes plan_ South Africa
- Water Hyacinth_Kenya
Before travelling to Africa, the international teams work online to familiarize themselves with the case. The field work in an African partner university is 10–12 days. The international teams share ideas and develop innovative solutions to the identified challenges. Each project team is mentored by the client organisation as well as the staff of HAMK and partner universities. After the field work, the teams can continue discussing together, analyzing their cases and finding possible alternative solutions to their challenge.
The field courses are open to all HAMK students who are interested in working with bio-economy linked business and development challenges.
What does this mean for students?
If you are interested in participating in the student challenge and this course, you first have to pass Cross-cultural communication 5 ECTS and Sustainable Society and Global Economy 5 ECTS -courses.
There are few assignments in those courses that are related to the country you are about to visit, so you can wait with those assignments, until you get that information.
You can find the two courses ( Cross-cultural communications and Sustainable Society and Global Economy) from Learn.
NOTE: You don’t need to wait for the teachers approval in Pakki to start the courses.
- You can apply to participate by writing and submitting a motivational letter by 25.08.2022. There will be a course in Learn for this, and you can see the instructions from there.
- Selection of students to each case and formation of HAMK teams; 26.08.2022
September – October 2022
- Kick off meeting ; 1.09.2022, online
- Face-to-face team building & meeting with mentors; 9.09. 2022, HAMK Visamäki, Hämeenlinna. (mandatory day)
- Forming mixed teams (HAMK+African partners); 15.09.2022
- Teams working virtually; Weekly, every Wednesday
- Mentoring meetings with mentors; Biweekly on Mondays
- Communication plan
- Workshop on ethnographic research methodologies,
- Face-to-face meetings of students before travel
- Mid-term presentations 12.10
- Video workshop
- Field visits/14 days/team
- De-briefing one week after the field visit (f2f)
- Mentoring of students continue
- Mentoring of mentors continue
- Communication continues
- Virtual team work continues
- Report writing
- Final seminar presentation; 7.12.2022
- Final report; 18.12.2022
This is a great opportunity for real-life learning and experiences with students in Africa!
Global Sustainability Module structure
- HAMK students may register on Pakki (search by course names)
- Registration for the students of the Open university of applied sciences
- Students of other universities of applied sciences (no cost): register on CampusOnline
The HAMK projects will cover the flights, in-country travel, accommodation and the stay in the partner university. Students’ self-funding includes personal travel, insurances, vaccinations and visa costs.
To learn about the field course schedule and to apply to the courses in the future, follow the information on Tuudo and the International Office.
Do you have questions or need more information about the Global Sustainability course?
HAMK Sustainable Development Degree Programme
Ulla-Maija Knuutti, Senior Lecturer
More information about the projects:
Teija Lehtonen, Senior Advisor, HAMK Bio
Tel. +358 400618 328
- STUDENT POST: HUJAMBO!Read more
As fall arrives, so begins the new student challenges as part of the Global Sustainability studies. We started our journey a couple of weeks ago when we got the confirmation that we were chosen for […]
- Our experience- Laura & TaruRead more
As a student, you can acquire knowledge in many ways during studies in a Higher Education Institution. We had the opportunity to experience a new way of learning during our field trip to Zambia/ […]
- Creating Sustainable Solutions for Global Sustainability – Spring 2022Read more
Artikkeli Creating Sustainable Solutions for Global Sustainability – Spring 2022 julkaistiin ensimmäisen kerran HAMK in Africa.