HAMK in Africa
Partnerships for education, research and innovation
HAMK is building knowledge and competence together with African universities and partners.
In this age of globalisation, there is a great need for collaboration, new ideas and innovations, and shared resources. Häme University of Applied Sciences is actively involved in international cooperation in education and research, which will shape the future of the world. Collaboration with African partners has an impact on all HAMK’s levels:
- Collaborative research is the tool for producing solutions suitable for local realities to create jobs and wealth. Collaborative research will also lead to sustainable development and climate change mitigation.
- Students are in the centre of all we do. Students at HAMK as well as at African partner universities will have possibilities to enhance their international competences and to strengthen their global citizenship. Through HAMK’s collaboration in Africa, students will have more opportunities for short exchanges in multidisciplinary groups.
- Our staff also have opportunities to increase their global through teacher exchanges, both by visiting African partner universities and by welcoming colleagues from African countries to teach at HAMK.
- HAMK and Fida collaborating for accessible quality education in Kenya08.11.2021
- Research is needed in improving cocoa sustainability18.10.2021
- Chocolate Week is celebrated at Häme University of Applied Sciences08.10.2021
- ODL training for teachers in Kenya, Zambia and Uganda23.09.2021
- Students seek business solutions for circular economy in Africa06.09.2021
- Reforming agri-entrepreneurship education in Africa is progressing29.06.2021
- 75 HAMK students to participate in field challenges in Africa25.05.2021
- HAMK will increase industrial collaboration in Zambia27.04.2021
- PBL skills for agriculture teachers in Kenya, Zambia and Uganda09.04.2021
- PBL skills for academic faculty across Sub-Saharan Africa08.04.2021
HAMK’s ongoing projects in Africa
AGS co-creation and innovation programme
Cocoa business development
Join Field Work in Africa
Building a sustainable world – this is what Global Sustainability studies is about. Learn about intercultural communication and why we need to care about others’ cultures or beliefs. Learn to understand the global economic and socio-cultural processes connecting the rich and poor of the world. Learn about the global inequality challenges, discuss sustainable and respectful global development and link this to your own studies. As a HAMK student, you have an opportunity to deepen your experience through joining a real-life development project in Africa.
In total, 75 HAMK students will be traveling to our African partner countries in 2021–2024.
We offer three courses consisting of a full 15-credit module:
- Cross-cultural communication, 5 cr online
- Sustainable Society and Global Economy, 5 cr online
- Creating Sustainable Solutions, 5 cr, field work in Africa or project work in Finland
Get prepared to work in multicultural environments and to navigate in the cultural complexity. Learn to recognize how culture, values, and non-verbal communication affect communication. Create links between the key theories and concepts of intercultural communication and real-life communication skills.
Sustainable Society and Global Economy
Get an insight to social, economic, and environmental sustainability issues in the global context. Learn about key theories and concepts on poverty and economic and social inequality. Discuss the ways towards prosperous and inclusive societies. Learn to link your own professional knowledge to the issues of global development agenda.
Creating Sustainable Solutions
During the field work in Africa, students work in multicultural teams to solve real-life problems. The field challenges are developed in close collaboration with companies, NGOs and other societal partners in Africa, Finland, or other partner countries. Students can also develop and test their own business ideas during the field course.
Before travelling to Africa, the international teams work online to familiarise themselves with the case. The field work in an African partner university is 10–12 days. The international teams share ideas and develop innovative solutions to the identified challenges. Each project team is mentored by the client organisation as well as the staff of HAMK and partner universities. After the field work, the teams can continue discussing together, analysing their cases and finding possible alternative solutions to their challenge.
The field courses are open to all HAMK students who are interested in working with bioeconomy-linked business and development challenges.
The students who cannot travel to Africa can complete a development project assignment in Finland.
Autumn semester 2021
- Cross-cultural communication: Oct-Dec
Spring semester 2022
- Creating sustainable solutions: Jan
- Sustainable Society and Global Economy: Pending
Field work schedule 2022: At this moment COVID situation does not allow traveling to Africa this spring so all the projects are done virtually.
How to register
- HAMK students may register on Pakki (search by course names)
- Registration for the students of the Open university of applied sciences
- Students of other universities of applied sciences (no cost): register on CampusOnline
The HAMK projects will cover the flights, in-country travel, accommodation and the stay in the partner university. Students’ self-funding includes personal travel, insurances, vaccinations and visa costs.
To learn about the field course schedule and to apply to the course, follow the information on Tuudo and the International Office.
HAMK Sustainable Development Degree Programme
Ms Ulla-Maija Knuutti, Senior Lecturer
Tel. +358 46 8567 699