HAMK Library helps you with all your information needs. We offer you access to high quality information sources and specialised information services.
You will need a HAMK library card to become a HAMK library customer. You will get a library card by coming to your nearest campus library with a valid photo ID. Library card is personal and you will be responsible for all the material borrowed with the card. You can use the same library card in all HAMK campus libraries.
Please keep your library card with you when using the library. You can fill in your contact details in advance using the HAMK library client registration form.
Please borrow your books using the borrowing machine. If you have any problems, you can come and ask the library staff for help. You can borrow books from all HAMK campus libraries.
HAMK library loan period is mainly 28 days. In Valkeakoski course book collection the loan period is 14 days. Serials can’t be borrowed.
You are responsible for renewing and returning your loans on time.
You will receive a due date notice via email before the due date. When you renew or return your loans on time you will avoid the overdue fines.
Amount of books out on loan
As a HAMK or HAMI student you can borrow up to 40 items at a time. As a client outside HAMK, you can borrow up to 20 items at a time.
In case the book you need is out on loan for someone else or is located in another HAMK campus library, you can make a reservation for the book in HAMK Finna. You can choose to pick up your reservation in any of the campus libraries. You can also make reservation for the books that are on the shelves. Making reservations is free of charge.
As a HAMK or HAMI student or staff member you can log in HAMK Finna using your HAMK username and password. During your first log in you will need to add your library card into your account. To do this you will need your library card number and a PIN code (the default pin code is your date of birth as ddmmyy).
As a client outside HAMK, you can log in HAMK Finna with your library card number and the PIN code.
If you don’t know your PIN code, please contact the library.
Notice of arrival
You will receive an email notification once the material you’ve requested is ready for pick up at your campus library. Requested material is held for 7 days. Please check your email notice of arrival for when to collect your request at the latest. Also note: we charge a fine of 5 euros/item for requests that have not been cancelled or collected on time.
Picking up your reservation
You can pick up your reservations from a self-service shelf next to the borrowing machine. The reservations have been arranged alphabetically under the client’s family name. Please borrow your reservations using the borrowing machine.
If you can’t find the material you need in HAMK library, you can make an inter library loan request on the book.
You can renew your loans in HAMK Finna.
HAMK students and staff can log in HAMK Finna with their HAMK username and password. During your first log in, you will need to add your library card in to your account. To do this, you will need your library card number and your PIN code (the default pin code is your date of birth as ddmmyy).
Clients who don’t have HAMK user id can login with their library card number and the PIN code.
You can renew your loans five times. When you’ve renewed your loan the five times, you’ll need to return the book. Please note that you cannot renew your loan if the item is on hold for another client.
You can return your HAMK library loans to any of HAMK campus libraries.
Please return your loans using the returning machine. When the library is closed, you can return your loans to the return boxes outside the libraries. The return boxes are located inside the campus buildings which means you can only return your loans while the campus building is open. In Visamäki, while the library is closed, you can return your loans to the return box outside building D.
The overdue fine is 20 cent/book/workday, and two euros at the most/book/due date.
Once your loans are two weeks overdue, the library system marks them as lost and automatically adds the replacement cost for the book in to your account. The replacement cost will be removed from your account when you return the book back to the library. If you do not return the book, we will send you an invoice four weeks after the due date. Library will not compensate books returned after the invoicing. The invoice has to be paid in full.
When your fines reach 10 euros, or you have lost books, your borrowing rights will be suspended. This means you won’t be able to borrow, renew, make reservations or access the library out of office hours (key card access for students). Once you’ve paid your overdue fines, you’ll be able to borrow, renew, make reservations and access the the library out of office hours again.
Please pay your library fees via HAMK Finna whenever possible.
Please see more information at library price list (.pdf).
Inter-library loans for HAMK library clients
If you can’t find the material you need in any of the HAMK campus libraries, we can make an inter-library loan request and borrow it for you from another library. For HAMK students and staff the inter-library loans are free of charge, and for customers outside HAMK the inter-library loan request fee is 10 euros/item.
Please request an inter-library loan using the inter-library loan request form.
Please notice the inter-library loan requests are possible to make only for the material we don’t have at all at HAMK library. For requests from other HAMK campus libraries, please use HAMK Finna.
Inter-library loans for libraries
Inter-library service is available from our collections to other libraries – just send an e-mail to kirjasto.kaukopalvelu(at)hamk.fi.
See the price list for information about the prices. Please note that HAMK library is not part of the IFLA Voucher Scheme.
Library can check and renew its loans in the library collection database HAMK Finna . Library will receive directions on how to do this with their first loan or by contacting us at: kirjasto.kaukopalvelu(at)hamk.fi
If you have any questions, please contact us on kirjasto.kaukopalvelu(at)hamk.fi.
HAMK library acquires material to the campus libraries according to the HAMK library collection policy. You can suggest a new book to be acquired to HAMK library collections using the acquisition suggestion form.
Feedback and change of details
HAMK students and staff are able to use HAMK campus libraries’ facilities and materials as self-service, also outside the library opening hours. Library self-service is on all other campuses except for Visamäki, where the self-service will begin on August 27th, 2018.
Access to library
You can acces the library with your personal key card to the campus. You will have to leave the premises before the alarms are turned on.
You automatically have the self-service library access if:
- you are a HAMK student
- your library card is valid
- your overdue fines are under 10 euros.
You can lose your self-service access for example by having too much overdue fines. Your self-service access will be restored after you’ve paid the fines. Please pay you library fees in HAMK Finna whenever possible.
Your personal key card is only for your own use, it is forbidden to even temporarily hand it over to someone else. It is also forbidden to let anyone else into the library premises with your card. If you are in the library when the library closes and the library self-service hours begin, you will have to check in to the library with your key card. You can do this at the library door.
Borrowing and studying
You can borrow and return material using the self-check machines. You can also study and use the library premises and equipment that are meant for library customers. If the self-check machines are not working for any reason, you’re not allowed to take the material out of the library. You can only take out books that are borrowed to you.
Use the library main door for entrance and exit. Emergency exit is only for emergencies.
There are surveillance cameras in the campus libraries. The data will be used to solve any issues and to prevent them.
No staff in the library? Follow these instructions
What can you do during the self-service hours?
- Borrow material using the self-check machine
- Return loans with the self-check machine
- Pick up and borrow reservations
- Use the library collections
- Use computers, scanner, printers and other equipment in the library
- Use the library premises to study
What can you not do during the self-service hours?
- Borrow journals (use only inside the library)
- Get a new library card
- Pick up interlibrary loans
- Order interlibrary loans
- Have personal customer service
Please keep the library clean and tidy and respect your fellow students, do not disturb their work.
HAMK library self-service rules. Non-compliance with the rules will result in the loss of access rights.
Facilities and equipment
All HAMK campus libraries have some group study areas where you can study during the library opening hours and if you have a key card, also during the self-service hours. Each campus has their own copying and printing practices, please see all the details below.
- Printing and scanning is available both in the library and in the campus compter labs. Colour printing A4 and A3 is available on the multi function printer VI-N210-iso in the library. You can also use the multi function printer as a scanner. Copying is not available for students.
- Group study rooms. There are three group study rooms in the Visamäki main library. They are called Ida, Juuli and Theseus. The rooms are for eight people each and they all have a big screen in them.
- Black-and-white printer is available in the library reading room.
- Scanner is also located in the library reading room. There is no copy machine in the library.
- Group study rooms. You can use the library reading room for group studying.
- Printing. You can print to the campus multi function printer FO-3krs-copier, from all the computer labs. The printer is located in the lobby in the third floor. Colour printing is also available.
- Scanner is located in the library. You can also use the campus multi funtion printer as a scanner.
- Group study rooms. There is a group study room for 4 – 6 people in the library. You can book the room by signing the booking list attached to the group study room door.
- Printing is only available in the computer labs. There is no printer in the library.
- Scanner is available in the library.
- Group study rooms. You can use the library reading room for group studying. Personal key card access outside the library opening hours.
- Printing. There is a multi function printer in the library reading room (mu-kirjasto HAMKPS2). Colour printing is also available.
- Scanner is located in the library reading room. You can also use the library multi function printer as a scanner. There is no copy machine in the campus.
- Group study rooms. You can use the library reading room as a group study room daily at 7am – 9.30pm. Personal key card access outside the library opening hours.
- Black and white printer is located in the library. The printer is for HAMK students and staff only and you should have your own papers. Rino office on the 1st floor sells paper at a very reasonable price.
- Scanner is located in the library.
- Copy machine is located in the campus D wing, on the 2nd floor. You can use the copy machine for both printing and copying, but you should have your own paper.
- Group study rooms. There is reading area in the library for eight people and two individual quiet chairs. There is also an area and computers for four people. Personal key card access outside the library opening hours.
- Black-and-white printing is available in the library.
- Scanners. There are two scanners in the library. There’s no copy machine in the library.
- Group study rooms. You can use the library reading and computer spots for group studying. There are eight computers in the library. The area at the back of the library is meant specifically for quiet study. Personal key card access outside the library opening hours.
User rules and service charges
Help with reading - Celia talking books
If you have problems with reading printed text books due to dyslexia, learning disability, illness, injury or some other similar reason, you are eligible to join Celia talking book service.
Registering as a Celia client
You can register as a Celia client in HAMK Library. Please book an appointment to discuss about Celia. During the discussion we will make the registration and go through Celia’s services and how to use them. Please reserve about an hour for the introduction and registration. Please leave your details using Celia appointment form or contact your campus library directly to book an appointment.
Ordering course books
As a HAMK Student you are allowed to borrow and order university course books from Celia free of charge. In case you can’t find the course book you need in Celianet, contact your campus library or Celia for help. If the book is not yet in an accessible format, Celia can produce a copy. This takes about three months.
Celia in English >>
Contact HAMK Library