Global Competence in Teacher Education
GLOBAL COMPETENCE IN TEACHER EDUCATION
Global competence is the capacity to examine local, global and intercultural issues, to understand and appreciate the perspectives and world views of others, to engage in interactions with people from different cultures, and to act for collective well-being and sustainable development.
In a shrinking, more connected world where we all face common challenges, such as those posed by economic recessions, conflicts or climate change, the acquisition of Global Competence has become increasingly important. Countries face increasing challenges, for example the integration of newly arrived peoples through the migration crisis, the rise in nationalism, preparing our youth for life in a digitally interconnected global society, where they face uncertain futures.
In Global Competence in Teacher Education project teacher educators and trainee teachers across the EU work together to achieve a key objective of the project: to develop future cohorts of teachers who are both Globally Competent themselves but also have the skills to develop Global Competence in their students. The project will establish an international Global Competence Network of Educators to help the project consortium analyse and develop global competence curricula, materials and trainings within national teacher education programs. This project will also foster better intercultural education practices, including through teacher and student mobility and the use of virtual reality technology to enable non-mobility based experiences and sharing.
This project will be delivered through a series of activities which can be grouped within the following key areas:
• Scoping Study and Curriculum Mapping is a series of reports to inform potential users, policy-makers and researchers about the effective integration of Global Competence within a) initial teacher education programmes and b) school curricula.
• Developing Globally Competent Teacher Educators aims to raise awareness with Educators for the need of Global Competence in teacher education programmes and to support Educators as they too develop their own Global Competence.
• Raising Awareness with Strategic Leaders in Schools of the importance of integrating Global Competence into the strategic plans of their schools to empower and enable teachers to teach Global Competence.
• Flexible Teacher Training Programme will support trainee teachers as they learn to both become Globally Competent themselves and learn how to develop Global Competence in their students once they become qualified teachers in schools, harnessing the latest innovations in technology to enable learners during and beyond the life of the project to experience different views, cultures and ways of life in a virtual environment, which is of vital importance for sustainability and for those without the funds to travel.
• Conference Presentations and Academic Journal Articles will feature a collection of articles including conference presentations and papers, full journal articles, policy publications, advocacy kits and a full conference strand, which are all designed to promote and enhance the credibility of the other intellectual outputs.
Project is coordinated by the University of Hull and partners HAMK (Finland), The University of Genoa (Italy), UC Leuven (Belgium), European Federation for Intercultural Learning (Belgium), AFS Intercultural Programs (United States), Hellenic Open University (Greece). Three year project (2019-2022) is funded by Erasmus+ programme.
For more details, please go to https://www.globalcompetence4educators.org/