HAMK Tech – Technology for the Future
- Terveellinen digitalo project of HAMK Smart and HAMK Tech presented at Automaatiopäivät2317.05.2019
- Katariina Penttilä and Bao Tran presented papers related to the project “Digipaali” in France26.02.2019
- Co-operation in research and education with University of Coimbra, Portugal14.02.2019
- Sheet Metal Centre is now HAMK Tech11.12.2018
- Young engineers represented HAMK at Smart Cities in Smart Regions 201810.10.2018
Who are we? What do we do?
HAMK Tech Research Unit is specialised in sustainable technology solutions that promote the competitiveness of the industry and well-being in the society. We focus on applied research and development within the field of metal and building industry, combining expertise in chemistry, mechanical engineering, construction engineering, electrical and automation engineering as well as energy technology.
We develop design and manufacturing methods that improve our customers’ competitiveness and open new possibilities for them. We also help our customers to develop products and energy solutions that reduce the use of natural and other resources. This is our contribution to improved productivity, well-being at work, sustainability and lower emissions.
We have especially extensive expertise in applied research in the fields of sheet metal technology, steel construction as well as durability of structures and materials. The Sheet Metal Centre in Hämeenlinna is our best-known research laboratory. We are on our way towards the national front line in the fields of design and manufacturing methods and energy efficiency of buildings.
At the society level, we aim to promote the efficient and sustainable use of natural resources and increase the well-being of people by the possibilities presented by ecological technology solutions.
Who do we work with?
We are truly international in our operations, as our personnel is a mix of several nationalities.
We work actively in both national and international research networks, thereby contributing to the long-term development of our field. We have research cooperation with several international partners, including Feevale University (Brazil) and VIA University College (Denmark), the strategic partners of HAMK. University of Coimbra (Portugal) is also one of our key partners.
We are strongly involved in the international research network ICP Materials (International Co-operative Programme on Effects on Materials, including historic and cultural monuments).
We provide commissioned research and development services for dozens of customers; currently we work with ca. 70 companies and public organisations. Our key customers are industrial companies that are either already operating internationally or are aiming at internationalisation. We have long-term co-operation agreements with e.g. SSAB Europe, Ruukki Construction and Sisu Axles. In addition to companies, we also work with organisations involved in municipal structures and construction.
Opportunities for students
We are actively involved in the education provided by HAMK in the following degree programmes:
- Construction Engineering (taught both in English and Finnish)
- Electrical and Automation Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering and Design
Our staff members teach courses related to their field of know-how and the equipment of the research unit is utilised for education purposes. We aim to contribute especially to post-graduate education of HAMK.
We act as a link between industry and the HAMK degree programmes, and further between companies and students. Good examples of this cooperation are project assignments commissioned by the companies in the region.
The research unit also offers opportunities for students in the form of Bachelor’s and Master’s theses, as well as trainee positions that are available for students of HAMK. Every year a number of students participate in our activities as trainees, student assistants and thesis writers.
If you are interested in a work placement opportunity or would like to write your thesis at HAMK Tech, please contact:
- Francois Christophe at email@example.com for topics related to robotics
- Johanna Hiljanen at firstname.lastname@example.org for topics related to materials
- Päivi Laaksonen at email@example.com for topics related to long-term durability
- Timo Kärppä at firstname.lastname@example.org for topics related to 3D technologies
- Zhongcheng Ma at email@example.com for topics related to steel structures
- Katariina Penttilä at firstname.lastname@example.org for topics related to energy efficiency
Research and development projects
A significant part of the activities of HAMK Tech Research Unit consists of R&D projects. These projects are either public projects together with several companies, or confidential customer-specific research projects.
Director of Research Unit
+358 40 8241 955
Häme University of Applied Sciences
HAMK Tech Research Unit
Visakaarre 9 (office)/ Vankanlähde 13 (research laboratory)
FI-13100 Hämeenlinna, Finland
Häme University of Applied Sciences (VAT reg. 2617489-3)
P.O. Box 231
FI-13101 Hämeenlinna, Finland
Electronic invoices are preferred.
Our address for electronic invoicing:
TE003726174893 (Tieto Oyj)