For new degree students
Welcome to HAMK!
At HAMK, studying is about doing and acting together. Every student, teacher, staff member and partner from the workplace has their own special role in this. A caring environment and a supportive community will enhance your learning.
Before starting your studies
- Confirm your study place at Studyinfo.fi
- Pay the tuition fee (if required)
- Register for the academic year
- Apply for a residence permit (if needed)
- Apply for accommodation (if needed)
- Inform the degree programme about the date of your arrival as soon as you know it
- Activate your user ID: You will receive an email once your student ID has been created. This ID gives you access to all HAMK’s student systems. You may activate your ID at patu.hamk.fi around the middle of November for studies starting in January 2020 . You can activate the student ID with Finnish banking codes, a mobile ID or an ID card. If you don’t have a Finnish mobile ID, ID card or banking codes, you may activate the ID through self-service (without strong identification).
- After activating your student ID, you can start your studies with Starter Kit of Digital Skills, that will help you to start using online tools, equipment, environment and methods used in higher education studies. Get familiar with the content and instructions of the Starter Kit. The enrolment key for Starter Kit in Moodle is ”digistarter”.
- Get familiar with the student union HAMKO
You can find the instructions for confirming your study place and registering for the academic year as well as information about starting your studies from the following tabs on this page. In case you do not find the answer to your questions from this website, please do not hesitate to contact your degree programme’s student affairs secretary or HAMK’s Admission Services.
Confirming a study place
After you have been admitted to a degree programme, you will receive an email with a confirmation link. You must confirm the study place before the deadline that is given in the acceptance letter.
Confirm your study place electronically through the link provided in the email notification. If you have a Finnish ID number and online banking credentials, mobile certificate or an electronic ID card you can confirm the study place by logging in at the My Studyinfo -service. If you are for some reason not able to confirm your study place electronically, please contact the Admission Services of HAMK.
Make sure that you make the confirmation on time. Otherwise you will lose the study place offered to you. Once you have confirmed your study place it is binding and irrevocable and cannot be altered.
Please notice that if you accept the study place you cannot later accept any other study places leading to a higher education degree in Finland if the studies begin in spring 2020.
One study place per term provision
You may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term. This rule applies to all higher education. Higher education degrees included in the provision are:
- Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities of applied sciences
- Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities
- Licentiate and Doctoral degrees awarded by Finnish universities
The provision applies to higher education regardless of how the studies are provided. For example, if you accept a study place offered to you through HAMK’s direct application, you cannot later accept a study place from the joint application to higher education if the studies begin in spring 2020.
Only exceptions to the provision are:
- Transfer student selections
- the Åland University of Applied Sciences
- the Police University College of Finland
The provision is also not applied to studies at foreign higher education institutions.
The academic term (1.8.−31.12. or 1.1.−31.7) is the set framework for implementation. The provision does not prevent acceptance of a place in another degree programme during another academic term. Even if you postpone the commencement of your studies, or interrupt your studies, you cannot accept another study place for a degree programme starting in the same academic term.
Registering for the academic year
You need to register for the spring semester 2020 electronically through the link that was provided to you in the email notification.
Please notice: If you are required to pay tuition fees for your studies, you are not able to register for the semester electronically before you have paid the tuition fee for the spring semester 2020. In that case, you should make the registration as soon as you have paid the tuition fee.
Also if you confirmed your study place conditionally and remain on the waiting list for reserve places you are not yet able to register for the academic year. You should make the registration as soon as you are no longer remaining on the waiting list for reserve places.
Registering as non-attending
Bring along your original certificates, your passport/identity card and residence permit card with you on the first day of your studies. The original certificates will be checked during the first two weeks of study. If you do not bring along the original certificates by the date given, your study place will be cancelled.
If you have enrolled as ‘non-attending’, your original documents will be checked when you start your studies.
On the first day
The first thing that you should do when you arrive to the campus for the first time is to visit the local Student Affairs Office. Please take there with you:
- identity card or passport
- original school certificates and official translations of the certificates in Finnish/Swedish/English
The student affairs secretary will check the documents and register your arrival.
Degree Programme in Bioeconomy Engineering
- Studies start on Monday, 13 January 2020 at 10:00 am at Wahreninkatu 11, 30100 Forssa
Degree Programme in Computer Applications
- Studies start on Monday, 26 August 2019 at 9:00 am at Vankanlähde 9 (building C), 13100 Hämeenlinna
Degree Programme in Construction Engineering
- Studies start on Wednesday, 28 August 2019 at 9:00 am at Visamäentie 35 B, 13100 Hämeenlinna
- New students will be contacted by HAMK tutors during the summer
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Hämeenlinna, please contact your own tutor student or Construction Engineering Summer Assistant Vinh Vuong, tel. +358 50 477 5071
- In addition, please fill in a short questionnaire for new students
Degree Programme in Electrical and Automation Engineering
- Studies start on Monday, 26 August 2019 at 8:15 am at Lotilantie 16, 37630 Valkeakoski
Degree Programme in International Business
- Full-time studies: Studies start on Monday, 26 August 2019 at 8:15 am at Lotilantie 16, 37630 Valkeakoski
- Part-time studies: Studies start on Friday, 6 Sept 2019 at 3:45 pm at Lotilantie 16, 37630 Valkeakoski
Degree Programme in Mechanical Engineering and Production Technology
- Studies start on Monday, 26 August 2019 9:00 am at Kaartokatu 2, 11100 Riihimäki