For new degree students
Welcome to HAMK!
At HAMK, studying is about doing and acting together. Every student, teacher, staff member and partner from the workplace has their own special role in this. A caring environment and a supportive community will enhance your learning.
Before starting your studies
- Confirm your study place at Studyinfo.fi by 16 July 2021. The confirmation of a study place is binding, and it cannot be cancelled. This means that you can confirm the study place only once, and you cannot change it afterwards.
Check more instructions: Confirming a Study Place
- Check if you need to pay a tuition fee
- Register for the academic year through the link that was provided to you in the email notification
- Check if you need a residence permit.
- Please check the latest information on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on incoming degree students at Finnish Immigration Services
- Apply for accommodation (if needed)
- Activate your user ID (instructions) NB: you will first get an e-mail message and after that you can activate your user ID.
- Start your online orientation studies
- Inform the degree programme about the date of your arrival as soon as you know it
- Please check the latest information on entering Finland at Finnish Boarder Guard website
- Pack your original certificates with you
- Arrive in Finland a few days before the beginning of your studies – Orientation Days start on 16 August 2021! You will get the programme for the orientation days at the beginning of August by email.
You can find the instructions for confirming your study place and registering for the academic year as well as information about starting your studies from the following tabs on this page.
If there is anything you want to ask from us, please don’t hesitate to ask! You can reach us by email:
Confirming a study place
After you have been admitted to a degree programme, you will receive an email with a confirmation link. You must confirm the study place by 16 July 2021!
Confirm your study place electronically through the link provided in the email notification.
- If you have a Finnish ID number and online banking credentials, mobile certificate or an electronic ID card you can confirm the study place by logging in at the My Studyinfo service.
- If you don’t have a Finnish ID number and online banking credentials, mobile certificate or an electronic ID card, please read the instructions on the My Studyinfo email notification you received.
- If you are for some reason not able to confirm your study place electronically, please contact the Admission Services of HAMK.
Make sure that you make the confirmation on time. Otherwise you will lose the study place offered to you. Once you have confirmed your study place it is binding and irrevocable and cannot be altered.
Please notice that if you accept the study place you cannot later accept any other study places leading to a higher education degree in Finland if the studies begin during the same semester (1 January – 31 July, 1 August – 31 December).
One study place per term provision
You may accept only one study place leading to a higher education degree in Finland in education that begins in the same academic term. This rule applies to all higher education. Higher education degrees included in the provision are:
- Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities of applied sciences
- Bachelor degrees and Master degrees awarded by Finnish universities
- Licentiate and Doctoral degrees awarded by Finnish universities
The provision applies to higher education regardless of how the studies are provided. For example, if you accept a study place offered to you through HAMK’s direct application, you cannot later accept a study place from the joint application to higher education if the studies begin during the same semester.
Only exceptions to the provision are:
- Transfer student selections
- the Åland University of Applied Sciences
- the Police University College of Finland
The provision is also not applied to studies at foreign higher education institutions.
The academic term (1.8.−31.12. or 1.1.−31.7) is the set framework for implementation. The provision does not prevent acceptance of a place in another degree programme during another academic term. Even if you postpone the commencement of your studies, or interrupt your studies, you cannot accept another study place for a degree programme starting in the same academic term.
Registering for the academic year
You need to register for the semester/academic year electronically through the link that was provided to you in the email notification.
Please notice: If you are required to pay tuition fees for your studies, you are not able to register for the semester/academic year electronically before you have paid the tuition fee. In that case, you should make the registration as soon as you have paid the tuition fee.
Also if you confirmed your study place conditionally and remain on the waiting list for reserve places you are not yet able to register for the semester/academic year. You should make the registration as soon as you are no longer remaining on the waiting list for reserve places.
Registering as non-attending
Copies of certificates (concerns only students admitted based on previous school performance)
Students with International Baccalaureate, Chinese High School Graduation Certificate from the following provinces: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong and Sichuan, Vietnamese High School Graduation Certificate, All India Senior School Certificate or Indian School Certificate that graduate in spring/summer 2021:
If you are offered a study place based on your previous school performance and an online interview (without participating in the written part of the entrance examination), and you complete International Baccalaureate, Chinese High School Graduation Certificate from the following provinces: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangdong and Sichuan, Vietnamese High School Graduation Certificate, All India Senior School Certificate or Indian School Certificate in spring/summer 2021, please send a copy of your graduation certificate to email@example.com by 16 July 2021.
Chinese students are required to provide a copy of High School Graduation Certificate and official translation of the certificate in English. Indian students are required to provide a copy of All India Senior School Certificate or Indian School Certificate. Vietnamese students are required to provide a Temporary High School Graduation Certificate together with a transcript of records and official translations of the certificates in English.
All other students:
You are not required to provide a copy of your graduation certificate before starting your studies. Bring along your original certificates with you in the beginning of your studies.
Bring along your original certificates, your passport/identity card and residence permit card with you on the first day of your studies. The original certificates will be checked during the first two weeks of study. If you do not bring along the original certificates by the date given, your study place will be cancelled.
If you have enrolled as ‘non-attending’, your original documents will be checked when you start your studies.
Online orientation studies
Experience HAMK studies from the comfort of your home and be better prepared to start your studies!
After you have enrolled for the academic year, you will receive an automated message requesting you to activate user account at HAMK. Please read the instructions here.
After activating user account, bachelor students can start their studies already online with Starter Kit of Digital Skills – course and Introduction to HAMK Studies module. These online studies have been developed for you to have a smooth start to your studies. After you have finished the courses, the credits will be added to your study records. Master´s Degree students start their studies only with Starter Kit of Digital Skills.
Starter Kit of Digital Skills - For all new degree students
Introduction to HAMK Studies - For Bachelor Students Only
HAMK´s international degree programmes will start in August at the campus, given that Coronavirus pandemic doesn’t cause further restrictions.
Please look at the degree programme specific information below.
Degree Programme in Computer Applications
- Contact lessons at the campus will start at Vankanlähde 9 (building C), 13100 Hämeenlinna on Monday, 16 August 2021.
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Hämeenlinna, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Degree Programme in Construction Engineering
- Contact lessons on campus will start at Visamäentie 35 B, 13100 Hämeenlinna on Monday, 16 August 2021.
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Hämeenlinna, please contact email@example.com.
Degree Programme in Electrical and Automation Engineering
- Contact lessons on campus will start at Lotilantie 16, 37630 Valkeakoski on Monday, 16 August 2021 at 9 am.
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Valkeakoski, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Arrival guidance to Valkeakoski you can find on Valkeakoski Campus.
Degree Programme in Information and Communication Technology, Bioeconomy
- Contact lessons at the campus will start at Wahreninkatu 11, 30100 Forssa on Monday, 16 August 2021.
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Forssa, please contact email@example.com.
Degree Programme in International Business
- Contact lessons on campus will start at Tietotie 1, 37630 Valkeakoski (B building) on Monday, 16 August 2021 at 9:00 AM.
- For any information regarding studies, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org . Arrival guidance to Valkeakoski you can find on Valkeakoski Campus.
- Studies start on Friday 3 September 2021 at 3:00 PM in Zoom. The link will be emailed to your personal email address on 24.8.
- For any information regarding studies, please contact Study Counsellor email@example.com.
Degree Programme in Mechanical Engineering and Production Technology
- Contact lessons will start on campus at Kaartokatu 2, 11100 Riihimäki on Monday, 16 August 2021.
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Riihimäki, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Degree Programme in Smart and Sustainable Design
- HAMK Online orientation takes place on Mon-Wed 16-18 August 2021.
- Contact lessons will start on campus at Vankanlähde 11 (building D), 13100 Hämeenlinna on Monday, 23 August 2021 at 9 am to 4 pm. Your group is BASDP21 and schedule is available via TUUDO -application.
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Hämeenlinna, please contact email@example.com.
- You are oriented on studies by passing digital starter kit studies, we are oriented on you as well. Please, answer the presurvey by Monday 9 August 2021 from the following link: https://forms.office.com/r/Lwz7w2vdM3
- Watch greetings from our Tutor students: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKvDIscWKSU
Degree Programme in Smart Organic Farming
- Contact lessons will start on campus at Mustialantie 105, 31310 Mustiala on Monday, 16 August 2021.
- For any information regarding studies or arrival in Tammela, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Master’s Degree Programme in Sustainable Technologies
- Studies start on Wednesday 25 and Thursday 26 August 2021. The orientation is held starting at 9.00 at Zoom. The link will be emailed to your HAMK email address.
- You will find the schedule for the Sustainable Technologies Master Studies from here
- For any information regarding studies or your arrival in Hämeenlinna, please contact email@example.com
On the first day
The first thing that you should do when you arrive to the campus for the first time is to visit the local Student Affairs Office. Please take there with you:
- identity card or passport
- original school certificates and official translations of the certificates in Finnish/Swedish/English
- residence permit card
The student affairs secretary will check the documents and register your arrival.
If there is a situation, that you can’t arrive to campus on time, please let us know right away. To avoid delays, please start your immigration process as early as possible.
Student healthcare fee in higher education
Starting in 2021, students who study for a bachelor’s or a master’s level degree from a university of applied sciences will be entitled to use the services of the Finnish Student Health Service (YTHS). If you register as attending for the spring term at the latest by 31 January, you must pay the healthcare fee to Kela by 31 January. No bill will be sent on the healthcare fee, and thus you have to pay the fee on your own initiative. How to pay the healthcare fee in higher education. Read more about the services of YTHS.