International Professional Teacher Education
- Application to Professional Teacher Education 2020
- Application period begins 2.1.2020
- Application period ends 23.1.2020
- Documents to online application by 30.1.2020
- Recognitions 24.3.2020
- Information on admissions 3.4.2020, 15.00 Finnish time
- Confirmation of study place 14.4.2020, 15.00 Finnish time
- Studies begin May 2020
DEGREE PROGRAMME IN BRIEF
|EDUCATION||Professional teacher education|
|DURATION (MONTHS)||13 months|
|EDUCATION WILL START||May 2020|
ASK ABOUT APPLYING AND EDUCATION
OUR LOCATION AND CONTACT INFORMATION
The School of Professional Teacher Education is located in southern Finland, in Hämeenlinna University Centre.
Dean: Seija Mahlamäki-Kultanen
Postal address: School of Professional Teacher Education, PO Box 230, 13101 Hämeenlinna, Finland
Staff: Visamäentie 35 A, A-building, 2nd floor, Hämeenlinna
Classrooms: Vankanlähde 11, D-building, 2nd floor, Hämeenlinna
Campuses and maps: https://www.hamk.fi/campuses-and-maps/hameenlinna/?lang=en
Staff email: firstname.lastname(at)hamk.fi
firstname.lastname@example.org (produces a ticket to HAMK ServiceDesk)
- We had the best graduations' figures in the year 2017 (EDUFI's Vipunen statistics). We guide and support our students to reach their goals.
- The teacher education has given very good foundation for graduates to work as a professional teachers. Students gave grade 4,5 on a scale of 1 to 5. (Student feedback survey 2017-2018).
- The learning atmosphere is highly positive. Students gave grade 4,6 for learning atmosphere promoting a communal spirit. (Student feedback survey 2017-2018).
- Applicants apply primarily to our education because of good reputation and recommendations by alumnies. (Student interim feedback survey from several years).
APPLYING AND STUDYING
Requirements for applicants are mainly
- a relevant degree completed in a university or University of Applied Sciences and
- a minimum of three or five years’ work experience in a field corresponding to the degree. In some cases there are no requirement for work experience.
Professional teacher education is targeted both at those intending to become teachers and those already working as teachers who have not completed pedagogical studies. The qualification requirements are somewhat ambiguous, as eligibility is determined by the applicant's existing degree and work experience. The reason for this is that professional teacher education is intended both for teachers of professional studies and for general subject teachers (studies that complement vocational skills). Different qualification requirements apply to these two groups of teachers. In addition, the qualification requirements are not the same for teachers in different vocational fields. In some cases, eligibility is determined by whether or not the applicant is working as a professional teacher.
Anyone with the educational qualifications and work experience required for a teaching post at a University of Applied Sciences or an institute of vocational education (Act 932/2014 § 25) can apply to a Vocational Teacher Education Programme in Finland. The eligibility requirements regarding both education and work experience must be met by the end of the application period.
Requirements for applicants seeking qualification as a teacher of vocational subjects (i.e. vocational modules in programmes of education leading to a recognized vocational qualification at the upper secondary level of the Finnish education system)
According to the regulations, the applicant must have
- a relevant tertiary level degree completed in a university or University of Applied Sciences and
- a minimum of three years’ work experience in a field corresponding to the degree
Requirements for applicants seeking a qualification as a teacher of vocational subjects and applying on the basis of a degree in the field of Social Services and Health from a University of Applied Sciences
For people applying to a Vocational Teacher Education Programme on the basis of a degree in the field of Social Services and Health from a University of Applied Sciences, a minimum of five years’ professional work experience in a field corresponding to the degree is required.
Requirements for applicants seeking a qualification as a teacher of general subjects (i.e. common core study units in programmes of education leading to a recognized vocational qualification at the upper secondary level of the Finnish education system)
The requirement for general subject teachers in vocational education is in most cases a relevant Master’s degree. Professional work experience from the field corresponding to the degree is not required. In some cases, a relevant higher education degree other than a Master’s degree may grant eligibility.
General subject teachers in vocational education are e.g. teachers of languages, mathematics, humanities and social sciences, information technology and basic health education.
Requirements for applicants from the fields of Dance or Circus
Applicants from the fields of Dance or Circus may enter three years of relevant studies as the degree on which the application is based.
Requirements for applicants applying without a degree from a university or University of Applied Sciences.
In some cases, qualifications other than a relevant higher education degree may grant eligibility, if the applicant is already working as a teacher of vocational subjects on an officially recognized programme of vocational study. In such cases, the applicant must have a minimum of five years’ professional work experience in a field corresponding in content to the teaching duties assigned to him/her.
Recognition of non-Finnish degree
If the application to the Vocational Teacher Education Programme is based on:
- a university/University of Applied Sciences degree completed outside the Nordic countries, or
- a degree from the field of Social Sciences and Health completed outside Finland, or
- a university/University of Applied Sciences degree which is less than three years in scope and has been completed in the Nordic countries, or
- for those seeking a qualification as a general subject teacher - a degree completed outside Finland,
the degree must be formally recognized by the Finnish National Board of Education / Finnish National Agency for Education or the Ministry of Education of Finland, and an official decision on recognition from one of these bodies must be attached with the application. Further information: Recognition and international comparability of qualifications
The Finnish National Board of Education is responsible for decisions regarding the eligibility conferred by foreign qualifications for positions which in Finland require specific education or a university/University of Applied Sciences degree of a certain level. A certain level of education is required e.g. for the following teaching duties:
- pre-school teaching
- class teaching
- subject teaching
- special needs education (part-time special needs education and special needs class education)
- student counselling
- vocational or general subject teaching in vocational education
- liberal adult education
The selection procedure is based on national selection criteria agreed on and used by all five Professional Teacher Education institutions in Finland. There is no entrance examination. The one-phase selection is based on the application form. Applicants are admitted to the programme in the rank order of their total admission points within each admission group. International Professional Teacher Education programme is separate admission group and the final selection will be based solely on the applicants´ admission point scores.
Your application form will be scored if you have been found eligible. Your application will be processed by the University of Applied Sciences (UAS) which is marked on the application as the applicant’s first preference. Points are awarded in every Professional Teacher Education institution according to admission criteria of 2019 agreed upon by the institutions.
The criteria which are taken into consideration in the scoring system are as follows:
|Other completed degrees||8 points|
|Basic studies in educational sciences||10 points|
|Further education (after 1 January 2013)||4 points|
|Teaching experience from official educational institutions||5 points|
|Teaching experience from vocational education since 1 January 2017||10 points|
|Maximum total points||37|
A qualification required for eligibility does not give admission points for the application.
Fill the online application in Studyinfo.fi. The application form is only available during the application periods. You do not need a user ID to fill in the application form.
The applicant must verify his/her qualifications and matters that affect the selection process with certificates.
Please note that when you fill in the application form, you need details from your degree, training and work certificates. Therefore, it is good to familiarise yourself with the admission point system before you fill in the application.
The next application period is 2. - 23.1.2020.
- Application period begins 2 January 2020
- Application period ends 23 January 2020
- Attachments by 30 January 2020, at 15.00 (Finnish time)
- Recognitions by 24 March 2020
- Results of the student selection on 3 April 2020
- Confirmation of study place 14 April 2020, at 15.00 (Finnish time)
- Studies begin on May 2020
The required documents must be attached to the online application to the applicants´ first-choice Professional Teacher Education institution by 30 January 2020, at 15.00 (Finnish time).
If you need an official decision from EDUFI on recognition of non-Finnish degree, you can send this document afterwards by traditional mail but at the latest 24 March 2020. Address: HAMK AOKK, Student Affairs Office, P.O. Box 230, 13101 Hämeenlinna, Finland.
After you have submitted the application, you will receive a confirmation email. The message will contain a link with which you can modify your application, e.g. change the order of preference of your study options during the application period. You can also add or delete attachments until 30 January 2020, at 15.00 (Finnish time).
More information about applying below:
Recognition of non-Finnish degree
Instruction on studyinfo.fi
Results of the selection
Confirmation of study place
Frequently asked questions
Professional teacher education can be completed as multiform studies alongside work. Full-time studying is also possible with help of a personal study plan.
If the applicant chooses for example HAMK’s programme in English (International Professional Teacher Education), which forms a separate admission group, he/she will compete for a study place only with other applicants who have chosen this study mode, and the field of education will not affect the selection.
Study group 2019-2020
International Professional Teacher Education multiform programme, 13 months in Hämeenlinna (separate admission group)
- Programme is recommended for individuals from Finland or abroad, who wish to complete their professional teacher education in English or who do not have the required skills in the Finnish language to qualify for similar programmes conducted in Finnish.
- Aim of this programme is to provide the teacher students with the knowledge and competencies to teach and work in international learning environments. An additional goal is to develop teacher students' capacity to guide culturally diverse student groups.
- Teaching language of the programme is English. The applicant’s English language level must be IELTS 6/ B2 plus. The applicant may be interviewed in order to determine language proficiency or be required to present a formal language certificate.
- Contact days: approximately 15 days. The study process includes 3 online meetings. Contact days will be carried out weekdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm.
- During the distance learning and eLearning periods, the teacher students use online platforms to complete given learning assignments individually or in groups. A part of the programme includes teacher training.
- Programme begins in 9th - 10th of May 2019 and ends in 5th of June 2020.
- The group can be chosen by both the applicants who have completed Basic studies in educational sciences and also by the applicants who have not.
- Basic studies in educational sciences 13 ects are carried out during the summer 2019 (May – August). So, the teacher students must prepare to study throughout the summer.
- Students will be ranked and selected based on their application score regardless of their fields of education.
- Contact days 2019-2020 (.pdf)
Before starting your studies
Activate your user ID:
You will receive an email once your student ID has been created. This ID gives you access to all HAMK’s student systems. You may activate your ID at patu.hamk.fi well in advance before starting your studies. You may activate the student ID with Finnish banking codes, a mobile ID or an ID card. If you don’t have a Finnish mobile ID, ID card or banking codes, you may activate the ID through self-service (without strong identification).
Students in the study group will study both on their own and together with others. Communal learning is one of the cornerstones of our learning concept. The study group will also study online (the Moodle learning environment) during the distance learning periods.
The extent of the teacher education is 60 credits, which equals 1 600 hours of work by the student. In addition to contact days, time for distance learning and commitment to the study curriculum of the group are also required.